Weight Loss Surgery and Weight Management
At Baylor Frisco, we have the resources and experience you need to succeed at losing excess weight as part of your journey to better health.
Your Journey to Health Begins Here
If you are one of the many people who have unsuccessfully battled a serious weight problem, the Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Frisco’s Weight Loss Management and Surgery Program can provide hope through a comprehensive surgical weight loss program for qualified patients.
Are you a candidate for weight loss surgery?
If you weigh 100 pounds or more over your ideal body weight and the usual diets have failed, surgery for weight loss can help you lose weight and keep it off.
Qualifications for surgery may vary by location but can include the following:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater*
- BMI of 35-40 with significant co-morbidity (i.e. such as diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, heart disease, etc.)
- BMI of 30-35 with obesity-related co-morbidities without substantial, durable weight loss and co-morbidity improvement with reasonable non-surgical methods. Documentation of medical necessity is required.
- Documented dietary attempts ineffective
Contraindications for weight loss surgery:
- Active substance abuse
- Major mental illness that can interfere with the ability to grant consent or adhere to post-surgical follow-up
- Serious illnesses that could be exacerbated by caloric restriction
Commitment to Quality
Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Frisco is accredited by the American College of Surgeons Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). Faced with clinical evidence that the most experienced weight loss surgery programs have the lowest rates of complications,
MBSAQIP was created to recognize weight loss surgery centers that perform well and help weight loss surgeons continue to improve the quality and safety of the care provided. This accreditation means that our Bariatric Surgery Program offers high-quality care by a multidisciplinary team using the appropriate equipment, pathways, and protocols to ensure that our patients experience the best possible outcomes.
In some cases, weight loss surgery can be accomplished with minimally invasive techniques using state-of-the-art robotic surgery equipment.
In addition, the bariatric or weight loss program at Baylor Frisco is designated as follows:
- Aetna Institutes of Quality for Bariatric Surgery
- Blue Distinction + Center for Bariatric Surgery
- Optum United Healthcare Bariatric Center of Excellence
Questions or ready to take the next step?
Our Weight Loss Surgery Coordinator is here to help. Reach out to our Weight Loss Surgery Coordinator, who can refer you to a physician or answer common questions. Please click here to fill out a contact form.
Click here for a list of physicians on the staff at Baylor Frisco.
Weight Loss Resources
Are you a candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
Request information from our Weight Loss Surgery Coordinator
Download and Print our Weight Loss Guide to Surgery
Weight Loss/Bariatric Surgeons
Weight Loss Surgery Nutrition Education