Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Frisco
Respiratory Care – Respiratory Therapist – RRT PRN Nights
Under the direction of a physician, administers both continuous and intermittent Respiratory Care modalities, ventilator management, and diagnostic testing, following department policies, procedures, and prevailing professional standards of care. Performs patient assessment and care plan management following established protocols. Works with Team Members within the Respiratory Care department and other departments to facilitate superior patient care outcomes. Recognizes the purpose of this service is to provide high-quality customer service and to promote patient safety.
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) by the NBRC
- or if RRT Eligible, obtaining RRT within 6 months
- Neonatal Pediatric Specialist (NPS) by NBRC preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of acute care hospital Respiratory Therapy & NICU experience
- Respiratory Care Practitioner by Texas Department of Health
- Current BLS, ACLS, PALS, NRP, and STABLE preferred
- Independent decision-making skills
- Basic Computer skills
Patient Assessment and Management – Percent of Time – 20%
- Performs patient assessments according to policy, procedures, and prevailing professional standards of care.
- Assess patient response to therapeutic interventions and adjusts treatment plans as indicated/warranted.
- Performs patient chart review to assist with patient care planning and treatment.
- Utilizes Department Protocols and policies to guide patient management.
- Interacts with physicians/ Licenses Independent Practitioners to facilitate the best clinical outcome for the patient.
- Provides education to the patient and or/caregivers to include but not limited to:
- Respiratory disease processes
- Treatment expectations and goals – including medications
- Asthma Management
- Smoking Cessation
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Home Treatment and Care
- Provides Hand Off Communication (report) when relinquishing care to another provider.
Patient Care – Percent of Time – 60%
- Administers both continuous and intermittent Respiratory Care modalities following Department policies, procedures, and prevailing professional standards of care, including but not limited to:
- Oxygen and blended gas delivery, including High Flow delivery devices
- Oxygen saturation monitors, both continuous and spot-check devices
- Mechanical ventilation, both invasive and non-invasive, includes advanced modes.
- Intermittent modalities – hand-held nebulizers, MDI, CPT, Incentive Spirometry, PEP, Flutter Valve, etc.
- Obtain and/or run laboratory samples for analysis, Including but not limited to:
- Arterial, venous, capillary, and cord blood gases via an arterial puncture or arterial line access
- Sputum samples via nasal wash, nasal swab, bronchial lavage, and tracheal suctioning.
- In conjunction with the Laboratory:
- maintain blood gas instruments and QC controls
- performs required maintenance and documentation
- assist with troubleshooting mechanical problems
- Performs Patient Care procedures to include but not limited to:
- Airway and oral care, including suctioning and ETT stabilization
- Ventilator management, protocols, and weaning parameters
- CPAP, AutoPAP, and BiPAP management
- Tracheostomy care/change
- Assist with bronchoscopies/other procedures
- Ventilator transport, including both manual resuscitator and transport ventilator use
- EKG and Rhythm strip
- Bedside Spirometry/Peak Flow
- Functions as part of the Code Blue, Rapid Response, and MERT Teams
- Attends newborn deliveries and functions as an NRP provider
- Other tasks specific to NICU Core Team functions
Department Support – Percent of Time – 20%
- Team Support – works with Team members in the Respiratory Care department to facilitate superior patient care outcomes, including but not limited to:
- Coordinating workload, patient assignments, and initial requests for service, working as a team, and offering assistance as indicated or requested
- Following the department’s Staffing Guidelines
- Attending department staff meetings 75% of the time, keeping up to date with changes within the department by reading Department Meeting Minutes and acknowledging them electronically.
- Attends BMCF meetings and in-services as required.
- Participates in BMCF councils or teams as requested.
- Maintain a clean work environment.
Equipment Management – maintains equipment readiness following Manufacturer guidelines, department policy and procedures, and prevailing professional standards of care.
- Cleans set up and safety tests equipment after patient use.
- Notifies the Manager of supply/equipment needs
- Checks/exchanges/restocks airway bags, crash carts, and other emergent supplies per department/hospital policy.
- Assists with oxygen/other gas cylinder exchange/change out as necessary
Documentation – Records all patient care delivered to patients per department policy and procedures, BMCF guidelines, and prevailing professional guidelines.
- Documents all patient care delivered in a timely manner before leaving the shift in which care was delivered.
- Written Documentation is legible.
- Verifies physician’s orders by signing initials, credentials, date, and time or electronically.
- Performs support functions such as billing, QA, chart audits, etc.
- Documents in BMCF electronic or physical medical records as required or requested.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org